A Commercial Plumber requires a bit more than your general residential plumber.
Here is a list of questions you should be asking before you hire a commercial plumber and why
- Does your plumber have a commercial plumbing license for the required work you require?
- What class of license do they have and for what scope?
- Do they have Insurance coverage?
- Experience – do they have commercial experience?
- For new builds – do they have a white card?
- For existing facilities that work with children – Do they have a blue card?
- Do they have great reviews & recommendations?
- What are their hours of service?
1. Does your plumber have a commercial plumbing license?
This should be the very first question you ask. As a company who service commercial properties nationwide. We are very familiar with the code and compliance required for plumbers in each state, the biggest being licenses. Each state has their own regulators and industry bodies.
A licensed plumber has a higher standard of knowledge and experience than a plumber who is registered or in training. Licensed plumbers are able to issue consumers with a compliance certificate, which certifies that their work complies with the relevant plumbing standards, codes and regulations. And they hold insurance that protects consumers when their plumbing work is found to be defective.
2. What license class does your plumber require?
Each state is different; however, the majority are broken down by the following class licences which are either main, restricted or specialised
- mechanical services
- roofing (stormwater)
- water supply
- irrigation (non-agricultural)
- fire protection.
Restricted plumbing classes:
- gas fitting: Type A appliances
- roofing (stormwater): Class 10a buildings
- water supply: Domestic hot water services
- fire protection: Hydrants or hose reels, residential/commercial/ industrial or domestic fire sprinklers, fire system pump sets
- mechanical services: Refrigerated air-conditioning, solid fuel heaters, duct fixing, split systems.
Specialised plumbing classes:
- backflow prevention
- Type A gas appliance conversion
- Type A gas appliance servicing
- Type B gasfitting advanced
- refrigerated air-conditioning.
Generally, you will find a plumber with have a combination of the main so just double check before you choose.
3. Does your plumber have Insurance coverage for commercial purposes?
Plumbers must be insured for adequate public liability protection for a minimum of up to $10 million. Mathiou Services are insured for $20 million in public liability – covering us for all damage to property or persons.
4. Experience – What is their plumbing commercial experience?
There is a large gap between commercial and residential plumbing experience. Not only are the regulations for buildings different but each plumber has experience in a type of work and less in the other, make sure your plumber has worked on the type of work scope you need.
5. Why is it important for my commercial plumber to have a White Card on a new site?
It’s not just plumbers, anyone who enters a construction site on a regular basis needs to receive general construction safety training, known as The White Card, in order to fulfil a federal mandate. It’s all about the construction site and the insurance policy of the site, you need to have completed this training and received this card as part of health & safety of the construction site you would like to go onto. You can read more here.
Standard employment requirement for all Mathiou Services plumbing technicians is to have their white card.
6. For existing facilities that work with children – Do they have a working for children check?
The purpose of the working for children check is to contribute to the creation of safe and supportive environments for children and young people when receiving services and participating in activities which are essential to their development and wellbeing, such as child care, education, sport, and cultural activities.
It is a standard employment requirement for all Mathiou Services plumbing technicians to have their working with children check.
6. Do they have great reviews & recommendations?
They say the best plumbers come well recommended. Check out your plumber’s reviews online or ask them. You never know what you find and if it’s a big project you need work on, it’s peace of mind you will forever be grateful for.
Need help unblocking a drain?
Mathiou Services have fully licensed plumbers, we are insured and have our white and working for children’s checks phone us on 1300 363 423.