7 Reasons why your current maintenance program isn’t working
Maintenance programs are designed to do regular works, checks and servicing to reduce reactive works. Reactive works are those adhoc calls you as a facility manager or operations manager get as a result of not doing regular works.
- There is no set scope of works – it’s important to highlight that if you have a maintenance team that an audit list, or set scope of works ‘checklist’ is followed and customised to your requirement
- Regular Checks are not taking place or notarised – following the scope of works, in order to have this work seamlessly you need to have the checklist, CHECKED OFF and any follow-up works recorded for follow up action or otherwise known as “further works”
- No follow through on “further works” – this is extremely important, if it’s recommended that further works is required it should be actioned, when or the level of importance is entirely up to you as the facility owner or operator and it’s important to know the consequences of NOT actioning these works immediately before parking it for another month or 10.
- Having the right scope of works on your property maintenance programme – this can either hinder or enhance the longevity of your facilities assets so make sure it’s right.
- Having the right technician team – your technicians are part of your team so whoever you have onboard needs to be well briefed on how you like things and also have the qualifications and experience to complete works safely and in a timely manner.
- Service is not automatically booked in – the beauty of schedules services is that it’s automatically booked in with your technicians and you just need to approve the appointment time for that critical “next” service. We say critical as one service is never enough to ensure the lifecycle of an asset is maintained.
- Communication with staff – It’s great when you have an operations manager or facility manager who scheduled work in regularly but the lines of communication with site staff who may need to be briefed on what is going on need to be open from the get-go.
If you would like some help managing your facilities services or adhoc works, talk to your local team on 1300 363 423.