Is there a musky, pungent smell coming from your carpet?
In a room full of children day in and day out chances are there may have been “whoopsies” that have occurred overtime stirring up an odour in your room. We thought we’d share a few tips to help remove and prevent lingering odours. Without knowing the type of carpet here are some general methods:
TIP: Ensure no one can access the area i.e. children.
For liquids that have just occurred:
Baking Soda Carpet cleaning method
- Dab the stained area immediately with a damp cloth
- Sprinkle baking soda across the affected area to absorb the any further liquids and neutralise any odours, you could also add borax for more deeper clean just mix with baking soda before sprinkling
- Leave to sit for a few hours or overnight if it’s a strong odour
Vinegar & Baking soda carpet cleaning method
- Dampen a cleaning cloth slightly and gently pat the stain
- A light patting is all that’s necessary. Don’t scrub as it will embed the stain into the carpet
- Apply vinegar in small drops or via a spray bottle
- Keep patting until the stain has lifted
- Sprinkle the baking soda over the top of the damp area, work in and allow to dry
- After 15-20 minutes vacuum thoroughly
- Repeat as necessary for particularly stubborn stains
For dry stains with odours
- Rehydrate and extract –
- mix 2 cups of warm water and 1 cup of vinegar (2:1 cup ratio) and pour over the spot
- Fold a thick towel multiple times and place over the area and stand on the towel to absorb the water. Repeat with a fresh towel if the other becomes soaked until its semi-dry
- Sprinkle baking soda over the area and leave for several hours or overnight then
As far as DIY remedies these are effective methods for cleaning odours however it’s not 100% guaranteed you will get the odours out especially if the odours have completely embedded in the carpet threads. In this case, Mathiou Services would recommend a deeper clean using a more heavy-duty machine.
If you would like to have one of our technicians help you remove carpet odour, we would be happy to come on site and evaluate then come up with a more thorough approach, contact us on 1300 363 423 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.